SEPTEMBER 17, 2017 | 1pm-4pm | encinitas community center
THE WAGON CIRCLE PRESENTS
THE SECOND IN A SERIES
ENGAGING AND EMPOWERING KIDS IN ACTIVISM AND BEYOND!
YOUTH SUMMIT 2.0 IS HERE! If your child attended our first Youth Summit make sure to sign them up for the second in our series! (And even if they didn't, this second even is one they shouldn't miss!) While continuing to talk with kids on what matters to them in the world of politics and media we want to help engage them beyond the "talk" and help them develop, in their own way using their own abilities and skill sets, a plan of action to help them better their communities and carry out their own "activism." Facilitators will allow them to define what activism means to them and discuss ways in which they feel their community needs THEM!
While this summit builds on the previous one, your child does NOT have to have attended the first summit to attend this one!
WHY YOUR CHILD NEEDS TO COME TO THE YOUTH SUMMIT!
1. They are most likely hearing things about the current political atmosphere in their everyday lives even if you don't realize it -- on the radio while you are out running errands, on TV, even out on the playground and in their classrooms. Most kids in elementary school aren't sure what it is they are hearing and have questions about what to do with what they hear -- THE YOUTH SUMMIT IS THE PERFECT PLACE TO HELP THEM FIGURE IT OUT!
2. This is a non-partisan event! So we won't be teaching your kid who or what to vote for - we will be teaching your child how to make informed decisions, that we are all part of a local and global community and everyone deserves respect and kindness no matter who you are, and a little bit about how government actually works (how do we elect a president, how does voting work, why are local elections important!)
3. Your child will meet other kids in their community and get to know them! Meeting and creating bonds with other kids is really important AND FUN! (Meet other parents, too!)
4. Your kids will get to listen to other inspiring kids their age talk about how they are involved in their communities and how your child can also easily get involved, too.
5. UNIQUE TO YOUTH SUMMIT 2.0 -- Creating a plan of action for engagement in their community to help them with their own activism and accomplishing their goals in serving their communities!
THIS IS A FUN, INSPIRING, RELAXED EVENT WHERE YOUR KIDS WILL LEARN SOME GREAT TOOLS TO HELP THEM NAVIGATE THE NEW POLITICALLY CHARGED WORLD THEY LIVE IN AND HELP THEM RECOGNIZE THEY ARE PART OF A LOCAL AND GLOBAL COMMUNITY!
The SECOND Wagon Circle Youth Summit 2017 will continue to engage students in grades K-8 in discussion of current news topics, empowering them to raise their voices and encouraging them to hope for a better future while investing time and energy in our North County community through service. Small group discussions will be led by experts and community activists to help guide your children through various thought-provoking activities that will include making vision boards and discussing their concerns about their classrooms, communities and the world around them. We will address current events they may hear about or read in the news and how to work through those concerns at each age level. There will also be a quick Civics lesson!
Speakers will include Joe Mosca from the Encinitas City Council, Calli Kelsay, founder of the local non-profit organization Skate Rising, Aubrey Kelsay, 9 year old community service activist and skater and Relle Goan a local youth activist. Stay tuned for their bios!!
There will also be a community service component to the afternoon.
please register for the event on eventbrite!
If you are able, we are asking for a small contribution of $20 per child, or any amount you are comfortable giving, which can be paid through Eventbrite or at the door via check or cash. We want ALL children to participate so please do not let the dollar amount hold you back from sending your kids! This is going to be a fun and informative event. The contributions will go to cover the cost of supplies and the venue for the event. Any extra will go to cover future actions of The Wagon Circle. (Organizers and speakers are unpaid volunteers).
THE YOUTH SUMMIT WILL BE HELD AT THE ENCINITAS COMMUNITY CENTER.
1140 OAKCREST PARK DR.
Each child will get a button and do a project to take home with them.
A small snack will be provided (please bring your own water).
THIS IS A NON-PARTISAN EVENT! EVERYONE IS WELCOME!
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED!